Sunday, 19th of November 2017

Sunday, 19th of November 2017

stjohnschurch

 

On October 27, 1914, the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey dedicated a tablet commemorating the 250th anniversary of the settlement of Elizabeth Towne at St. John's Episcopal Church in Elizabeth.

 

The original St. John’s Episcopal Church was built in 1706 on land owned by Elizabeth Carteret. After her death, the land was given to the church by her third husband. The current church building was erected in 1860 and is the largest Episcopal worship site in New Jersey. St. John's has five of the largest Tiffany stained glass windows in the country, and beneath its floors is the unmarked burial site of Jonathan Dayton, the youngest signer of the U. S. Constitution.

 

 

 

ElizabethTowne

 

 

Settled in 1664 by the English, Elizabeth Towne (later "Elizabeth") was New Jersey’s first permanent English settlement and its first colonial capital from 1665 to 1668. The area was purchased from the Delaware Indians by a company from Long Island, along with emigrants organized by a nephew of Sir George Carteret, a former governor of the Isle of Jersey. The town was named in honor of Sir George's wife.