Sunday, 19th of November 2017

Sunday, 19th of November 2017

The site of the Second Courthouse of Somerset County, built in 1738, is marked by a tablet in the front-yard of a residence in Millstone. Erected by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey together with the Society of Sons of the Revolution in the State of New Jersey and the Somerset County Historical Society, the tablet was dedicated on October 28, 1911.

 

SecondSomersetCourthouse

 

TO MARK THE SITE OF
THE SECOND COURT HOUSE
OF SOMERSET COUNTY
IN THIS PLACE THEN CALLED
HILLSBOROUGH
BUILT IN 1738 ~ BURNED OCTOBER 26, 1779
BY TORY RAIDERS UNDER LT. COL. SIMCOE
OF THE QUEEN'S RANGERS

THIS TABLET WAS SET UP BY
THE SOCIETY OF COLONIAL WARS IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY
THE SOCIETY OF SONS OF THE REVOLUTION
IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY
THE SOMERSET COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
                                                                                1911 

 

The Second Courthouse of Somerset County was built in 1738. After the Battle of Princeton in January of 1777, Washington’s Army marched along this road to Morristown. In 1779, Lieutenant Colonel Simcoe and his eighty Tory Queen's Rangers from Staten Island swept through on their famous sixty-mile raid to attempt the capture of Governor Livingston. On the evening of October 26, Simcoe reached the Courthouse and burned it. It was not rebuilt, and the county seat was subsequently moved to what is now Somerville.