Sunday, 23rd of July 2017

Sunday, 23rd of July 2017

In 1971 the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey erected a bronze tablet, embedded in a large piece of granite, at the intersection of Route 518 and Province Line Road between the towns of Hopewell and Blawenburg. The tablet relates the history of the Keith Line (or Province Line), which defined the boundary between East Jersey and W

est Jersey. The history is told by the tablet's inscription. A transcription follows, with the left column being read first and the right column, second:

PROVINCE LINE ROAD

IN 1664, THE DUKE OF YORK SOLD
NEW JERSEY OR "NOVA CAESARIA"
TO LORD BERKELEY AND SIR GEORGE
CARTERET.

EAST JERSEY
CARTERET'S TRUSTEES SOLD
A "HALF" IN 1682 TO TWELVE
ASSOCIATES, THEREAFTER PRO-
PRIETORS OF EAST JERSEY.

LOCATION OF A LINE BETWEEN THE
"HALVES" PERSISTED IN CONTENTION.
ALTHOUGH NOT FINAL, THE KEITH LINE
OF 1687 PERMANENTLY INFLUENCED THE
STRUCTURE OF NEW JERSEY, EXTENDING
FROM "LITTLE EGGE HARBOUR ON A STREIGHT
LINE TO DELAWARE RIVER" NNW AND 50'
MORE WESTERLY, THIS LINE IS PERPETUATED
BY PROVINCE LINE ROAD AND BOUNDS, IN PART,
HUNTERDON, SOMERSET, MERCER, MONMOUTH,
BURLINGTON AND OCEAN COUNTIES.

WEST JERSEY
BERKELEY SOLD A "HALF" IN 1673
TO ASSOCIATES OF THE SOCIETY OF
FRIENDS, THEREAFTER PROPRIETORS
OF WEST JERSEY.

TITLE REMAINED IN THE PRO-
PRIETORS, BUT GOVERNMENT OF
BOTH PROVINCES RETURNED TO THE
BRITISH CROWN IN 1702, FINALLY
RESOLVED BY THE AMERICAN WAR
FOR INDEPENDENCE.


THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY
THE SOCIETY OF COLONIAL WARS
IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY 1971

 

 

ProvinceLineRoad