A tablet and a memorial bench, both dedicated by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey on November 4, 1967, overlook the upper-gardens at Ringwood Manor, located within Ringwood State Park in Passaic County. The tablet commemorates Robert Erskine and Baron Peter Hasenclever, both iron-masters of Ringwood.
Ringwood Manor was home to a number of well-known iron-masters from the mid-1700s to the late-1800s. Between 1764 and 1767, Peter Hasenclever enlisted some 535 Germans, who had come to the area during the period known as the “Palatine immigration”, to work at his mines and forges. Among the products made with Ringwood iron was the famous Hudson River Chain.
Robert Erskine, an iron-master and engineer, was the head of three iron-producing operations. He was also a surveyor. During the American Revolution, Erskine managed iron-making operations from Ringwood and was also enlisted by George Washington as Geographer to the American Armies. He created reliable maps for the Revolutionary Army and those maps are intact, and still considered to be accurate.