A tablet honoring the memory of Wilbur Fisk Sadler, Jr. and also commemorating the 250th anniversary of the constructing of the Old Barracks was dedicated at the Old Barracks in Trenton by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey after its Council Meeting on February 13, 2010. The tablet is inscribed as follows:
TO COMMEMORATE THE 250TH ANNIVERSARY
OF THE CONSTRUCTING OF THE
OLD BARRACKS IN TRENTON IN 1758
AND TO HONOR THE MEMORY OF ADJUTANT
GENERAL OF THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY
WILBUR FISK SADLER, JR. (1871-1916)
A MEMBER OF THE SOCIETY OF COLONIAL
WARS IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY
AND A MAJOR FORCE IN THE RECLAMATION
AND RESTORATION OF THE OLD BARRACKS
THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY
THE SOCIETY OF COLONIAL WARS
IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY
Built in 1758, the Old Barracks was the last of five facilities authorized by an act of the legislature in response to complaints about forced quartering of British troops in private homes. In 1776 British and Hessian troops occupied Trenton, and many were housed here. During the First Battle of Trenton, in a raid on the morning of December 26, 1776, General Washington captured many of the Hessians. The Americans returned to Trenton and occupied the Barracks. It was here that Washington ordered all his men to be inoculated against small pox, an act which saved the lives of many soldiers.
Over the years, portions of the Barracks had been disassembled and moved. Wilbur Fisk Sadler, Jr., Adjutant General of the State of New Jersey and a member of the New Jersey Society, led the effort to reclaim and restore the buildings to their original site and condition.